Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sports & Concert Bragathon



These are pictures of my ticket stub scrapbook. Some of these tickets go back to the 70's when I went to Fenway with my grandparents, which was a very big deal for a poor kid from Maine. What I thought I'd do is point out some of my most treasured ticket stubs, meaning the most "important" or personal events I attended, and invite all the other sports and music fanatics out there to list the ones they're most proud of.
Some of my favorites are events that my brother and I attended as parts of roadtrips. So in large part they'd fall into the personal category...seeing the Rolling Stones together in Montreal in 1989. We went on a roadtrip in 1998 to see a ballgame at Tiger Stadium during its last year and at Maple Leaf Garden in Toronto for the same reason. Along the way we stopped at the Rock N Roll HOF in Cleveland, we ate at the HardRock inside SkyDome (no games that weekend there unfortunately), went up in the CN Tower and stopped at Niagra Falls on the way back. Another trip along the same vein was to Montreal to see one of the very last games at the Montreal Forum. Another roadtrip was in February of 2001 to the Daytona 500. As it turned out that 500 was historic in that it's the one that Dale Earnhardt was killed in. On that trip we also saw a Magic game in Orlando and went to the Kennedy Space Center. Spending a weekend in Charlotte at the infield of the 600 with a bunch of my message board friends was definitely a highlight and worthy of a blog itself one day.
Taking my daughters to their first concert, Big N Rich, in NH; their first Celtic and Red Sox games as well as their first local stockcar race in Unity and first Nascar race at NHIS are very high on the list.
I'm also proud of the many venues I've seen sporting events at that no longer exist; such as, Memorial Stadium in Baltimore where I saw the Colts and Orioles several times, Riverside Speedway in CA, where I saw several Nascar races, including the last one there in '88; the places mentioned above, as well as the Salt Palace in SLC for a Jazz game in '87.
From a historic standpoint I would include attending the Patriots vs. LA Raiders playoff game at the LA Coliseum in 1986, which the Pats won on their way to the Super Bowl...the first team to win 3 road games to get there. A game at Anaheim Stadium on July 27, 1986 in which two 300 game winners faced each other for the first time in decades, Tom Seaver and Don Sutton. Curt Schilling's 200th win earlier this year at Fenway to name a few.
And a few personal favorites such as Bruce Springsteen at the Cap Center in August of 1984, Bob Seger at Merriweather Post Pavilion in 1983, John Mellencamp at the SD Sports Arena in 1988 as well as The Ballpark in OOB, Maine in 1994; Bob Dylan at Sammis Pavilion in '88. Hey Robbie, Harry Anderson at La Paloma in Encinitas in May of '86. Obviously there's many more to bore you with but I won't. Please return the favor.

7 comments:

El Mas Chingón said...

That is cool. I went to Hank Aaron's last game against the Padres as a member of the Atlanta Braves in '74. My father has that ticket stub.

I threw out all of my ticket stubs from the concerts and games I attended except for one: the 1999 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

LittleCuz said...

I've kept all my concert stubs, and most of the sporting event ones too. My favorite concert was seeing Jeff Healey in Offenbach Germany. It was a great show, the warm up band was fantastic and completely unknown. Not to mention nearly getting arrested on the train trying to get there, the best trips always have a story. A close second was Clapton in Munic. Here again a good story comes along with that one. I did get to see the Dead in Frankfurt on one of their last tours, the biggest memory there was smelling the hash from 4 or 5 blocks away and a four piece band playing on top of a VW bus in front of the Festhalle. Oh to be young and care free again!!! As far as sporting events, my all time favorite was a few years ago I got 6 free tickets from work to the Portland Sea Dogs. I got Mama Joan, Dad, Bruce, Jim and Grampy to go with me. Nothing like a memory of having a beer at a ball game with Grampy. How does that go......oh yeah PRICELESS. I must say though that the road trips we took last year were lots of fun too. You alluded to the Revolution game in a post earlier, and the 3 minor league games in 2 days will never be forgotten.

Zebster said...

Cuz, Gramp had a beer?!! When he and Gram visited me in CA, I took them to a Padres game at the Murph, which turned out to be the division clinching game for the Giants. Shel went with Bro and I to the Orpheum in Boston to see the Black Crowes...as close to getting stoned as Shel's ever been. I knew some of the ones you went to, but Sis has me impressed.

Hey Robbie, you musta been like 5 when you saw Hank. I'm jealous though. No comment on the cool stuff I saw in your backyard? LOL

LittleCuz said...

Gramp having a beer about floored my too. I commented to Dad that I'd never seen him drink before and Dad said he did occasionally have a beer.

When did you see the Crows at the Orpheum? I saw them with Jen and some friends at the Orpheum Theater in like 92 or 93, it would have been the tour for their second album. The promoter made Chris Robbins ask the crowd to stay seated in the balcony, he made the announcement then told the crowd "to f*** with them, have a good time, dance, smoke and get rowdy" or something to that effect.

Zebster said...

Oct of '96. We were in the front middle of the balcony. Opening act was Government Mule!

TrotRocks said...

AWESOME stuff Zebster. I have great memories of the roadtrips. If it wren't for you, I probably would go to some of these things. Thanks!:) I keep most of a my tickets. My Sox ticket collection hasn't gotten polluted. I need to write down on the ticket to cooler games. These days I go to about 10 games a year. Zebster I think i still have my Shockers ticket somewhere from when we went when i was at UMaine. I have a scrap book and I have many ticket stubs, but the tickets stubs aren't in the book. I need to stick them in someday. yeah the Crowes concert was a trip. They had a huge picture of pot plant hanging behind the stage.

LittleCuz the Germany venues sound cool.

El Mas Chingón said...

Sorry about that, Zeb. I've been busy rewriting my novel so I'm not exactly paying attention to things like I normally do. Yes, I'm jealous! On the other hand, one of my favorite concerts was Iron Maiden/Vinnie Vincent Invasion at Long Beach Arena in 1987. It was a great concert and there was a riot in the parking lot afterwards.

Rock and roll! LOL