Sunday, August 20, 2006

Beer Fridge!

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me...well, Friday was. Last night my wife and I and daughter and stepdaughter went to eat at Longhorn's, where I made a pig of myself, topped off with a 16 ounce t-bone smothered in a butter and red wine sauce, topped with french fried onions (excellent) and washed down with a Bass Ale. The Mrs then said we need to go to the big orange box store, where I got to pick out my birthday present...my very own beer fridge!
While we're on the topic of beer, I believe I've found a new favorite lager, replace Samuel Adams Boston Lager...that lager would be JW Dundee's Amber Lager, which among other places comes in a 12 pack that also includes a pale ale, a pale bock and a honey brown lager.
The Amber Lager is in my opionion extraordinary. It has all the favor of the Boston Lager but a tad smoother, and the flavor is to me a less harsh. It's hard to describe something that you find perhaps more flavorful yet smoother, but that's how I would describe this beer compared to the Sammie. The Pale Ale is the best I've tried...again, more flavorful, yet as smooth as the most popular pale ales.
To contrast those two, I find the pale bock and honey brown to be a little disappointing. Around these parts the Honey Brown has an excellent reputation, but I just realized it's a lager and not an ale. So what is a honey brown lager or what makes a lager honey brown (aside from honey obviously)? I was looking forward to a robust brown ale with a hint of honey; what I got was a smooth lager. It's certainly more tasteful than traditional American lagers; but given how good the amber lager and pale ale were, I expected more.
The Pale Bock? I realize it's a pale bock rather than a standard bock, but dare I say I expected it to be bock-ier than it was. I know a bock is a lager but it tastes to me like a standard lager instead of a bock. I was bracing my taste buds for an attack of flavor that didn't come.
Anyway, if you like a robust lager and or pale ale, I couldn't more highly recommend these two offerings from JW Dundee by High Falls Brewing in Rochester, NY.

6 comments:

El Mas Chingón said...

Happy Birthday! I had no idea it was a few days ago. I'm glad you had fun. I hope you're watching the race. It looks like Dale Jr. and Jeff Gordon are doing well.

El Mas Chingón said...

BTW, about the beer fridge...right on!

TrotRocks said...

NICE! A beer fridge! That's awesome. Congrats and glad you had a great BDay. I have to try out the LOnghorn. Pale Bock? Sounds like an oxymoron. I will have pick up some JW Dundee soon.

Shel said...

What he failed to mention is the frig also has a small freezer to hold his Ben and Jerry's ice cream, a little added bonus. I am glad he had a nice birthday... anything to make my husband happy. You're the best!

Ingrid said...

Happy belated birthday Zeb. Holy Cow bud..you ARE a pig phew...I think I don't want to eat for the rest of the day after reading what YOU ate..LOL! It sounded good though, seriously, I could only handle that in a one fourth portion...man, that reminds me of the film with John Candy and fellow Canadian what's his name?? ( I need another coffee)
I'll have to come by here I guess, did not realize you were hanging out here instead.
Ingrid

LittleCuz said...

I had reviewed a JW Dundee 12 pack back in July on the Bosox Tavern blog. It sounds like the same sampler, 3 each of 4 different brews.

Glad you liked it too, I thought they were all pretty good too, although I'm not a huge pale ale guy.

Belated Happy b-day