Sunday, October 15, 2006

Chase Race #5

Before I get to my thoughts on the race, I want to say GET WELL SOON to my friend Buff, who just had hip replacement surgery. I know he's loopy on drugs but happy to have it over with and looking forward to walking normal again. The timing must've been tough though, because it meant him missing last night's race in person. Get well, Buff, and start that blog you've been talking about.
And congrats to Dave's Tigers for sweeping the A's for the American League Pennant...10th trip to the World Series for the Tigers, first since '84. How about a round of Two Boats, Dave?

I have to say I don't like the smaller fuel cells. It takes a lot of the strategy out of the racing and doesn't give the cars enough time to shake out and see who has good set-ups over long runs. The numerous caution flags contributed to that problem as well. Here's to hoping that new surface cures soon. I know it's always been a fast and tricky track but this is crazy. I can't complain though because Kasey won his 6th race of the season and a sweep of the Charlotte races. Love the Mopar logo on it this weekend but not sure about the color. That team seems to be getting things together and should be one of the favorites to win next year, though things will be leveled with everyone learning the "car of tomorrow." Bobby Labonte had perhaps the quietest 5th place finish I've seen in a long time. Yes, the announcers mentioned them a couple of times but it seems he got there in stealth mode. I'll never get tired of seeing the 43 run well, of course.

Mark Martin's career bad luck streak continues. A late accident that was pure bad luck probably eliminated him from a championship because he hasn't had a dominant car to gain a lot of points...they've just been consistent enough to hang in there.

I'm rushing this together because I'm getting ready for orientation tomorrow. So sorry this isn't an in-depth article. I'm still planning on writing a piece about why I don't like the Chase format, as well as telling everyone what a great day I had with my daughter on Friday. I'll get to that soon.

2 comments:

David said...

There sure is a lot going on eh Zeb? echo the get well wishes to our parrothead friend.

Tigs are doing just Grrrrrrrrreat (pun intended).

You and I picked the winner in the chase last week. I'm still 42 pts behind you, but don't look back because my usual luck (bad) is bound to strike and you will be way out in front.

Congrats on Time Warner. Before I left for seminary they offered me a job in their high speed internet dept. They are a good company, hope it works out for ya.

No Two Boats...haven't brewed anything in ages. I will tip a cold Sammy Oktoberfest to ya though....cheers!

Zebster said...

Cheers indeed. I have the lead in the season game as well but 5 races left with only mid-packers to chose from. That ain't over either.