Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Wow, what a finish. Italy 2, Germany 0


In a game which Germany ouplayed Italy in a scoreless game almost through the end of the second overtime, Fabio Grosso breaks the scoreless tie with an absolutely fabulous shot that bends into the back corner just beyond the fingertips of the outstretched German goalkeeper. Then, as Germany opens it up even more in search of the equalizing goal, Alessandro Del Piero scores a pretty one-on-one breakaway goal just 2 minutes later to seal it.
This is the most enjoyable soccer match (oxy moron) I've seen, especially the wide open overtime periods.
Some background: Germany has never beaten Italy in the World Cup, Italy has never won a World Cup match on penalty kicks.

Italy advances to play the winner of tomorrow's other semi-final match between France and Portugal.

2 comments:

Zebster said...

Well, I have more time on my hands right now than most, but the World Cup only happens every four years. So I can find interest in a little soccer that often. LOL

Zebster said...

LOL indeed. Yeah, if I get to the point where I'd do that, I hope he shoots me.