Monday, July 17, 2006

Why does it always seem to involve Tony Stewart?

Because no one in the history of Nascar has been a better driver, a more courteous and knowledgeable driver than he...just ask him, he'll tell you. I've been sick of his act for some time, and now I'm getting sick of the Nascar reporter pool kneeling at his throne with reverence asking how drivers should drive.
His run-in with Ryan Newman at NHIS Sunday was no different. Don't get me wrong, Ryan comes from that same school as Tony and Kevin Harvick...they've never been wrong. In this instance, however, like so many others involving Tony Stewart, I see Stewart as the culprit. His arrogance gets him into more trouble than any other driver. If he drove with the respect he says he learned from the likes of Mark Martin, he'd have at least half as many DNF's in his career and probably one more championship. His arrogance makes him do things that are not smart.
In this instance Ryan Newman has fresh tires and is much faster than Stewart. Newman is completely along side Stewart going into the turn, and Tony decides to battle him by pinching him down into the turn. Not a smart move at move tracks, definitely not smart at a flat track like NHIS. Around goes Newman taking Stewart with him. If you'd have used your head, Tony, you wouldn't have ended up with like the 4th 30th or worse finish in the last 6 or 7 races.
Since I gave up my September NHIS tickets a couple of years ago and sold my July ones this year, this will be the first year in a long time that I haven't attended a race at NHIS, though I'm thinking I might go to the truck race in September. I love being there in person, of course, but I don't like the traffic. It was a nice change of pace to take this one in on the tube.
By the way, the race was won by Kyle Busch, known as the Shrub. Zebster's favorites didn't fair well, although Kasey Kahne hung in there for 8th. Bobby Labonte came home 23rd and Kyle, always in black at NHIS since the death of Adam there, came home 28th. Unfortunately in my fantasy league Under da Porch, I won't be in first place any longer as my pick for this race was the aforementioned Ryan Newman, who finished 39th! Kudo of the race goes to Dave Blaney in the 22 car, who finished 13th. It seems that's the best finish that car has had this year.

3 comments:

David said...

Aw come on Zeb....we all know that Ryan was tight, couldn't turn and drifed up into the #20...;)

BTW.....you held on to 1st by 14 points. I'm about 50 back and charging hard ol buddy!

El Mas Chingón said...

You're picking on my boy!

Well, I think Ryan moved him up the track. I'm not worried. He'll bounce back next week at Pocono, and he does very well at Indy and Richmond.

Zebster said...

And eventually way up! LOL