Friday, July 07, 2006

Weekend Sports Preview

Cuz, this pic of my Bruins jersey is the answer to the question I'd asked about who my favorite type of player is. It is posted now because I've been negligent in mentioning that the Bruins signed Don Sweeney to be Director of Player Development. Don Sweeney A great story: Bro and I went to a Bruins game a few years ago at the New Garden. Of course I wore my Sweeney jersey, knowing I'd be the only one. Wrong! Sitting right next to me was a Bruin fan from Ottawa wearing a Don Sweeney road black jersey. He and a friend had driven down to watch the Bruins play the Senators.

What could this weekend's matchup between the last two World Series champs, the Red Sox and White Sox, mean? I think it's a good measuring stick for our Sox since the experts feel, and I tend to agree, that the White Sox are the best team in baseball; and if we have aspirations of getting the trophy back, it'll likely mean going through the Pale Hose. We also need to continue to play well because the Yankees are not far enough back for my comfort. We have the rotation lined up for this series. So I'd like to see us take 2 out of 3 and keep the momentum going.

Will anyone be watching the World Cup final on Sunday? Around the Nascar race and the Red Sox game I will. I'm no soccer fan, as you know; but the passion of the fans, the national pride of country-on-country and the fact that this is the biggest tournament in the world played only every four years is why I watch some.

Nascar heads to Chicago this weekend. My boy Kasey Kahne will be driving the same car he's won 4 times with this year. So I'm optimistic about how he'll do, as I am about the continued improvement of the 43, driven by Bobby Labonte. Who do you like this weekend? My fantasy pick is Denny Hamlin. In our fantasy league we can only use each driver once per year. Look for a post race write-up. I'm also going to do one soon about why I dislike the Chase format. I sold my NHIS July tix this year. So I won't be blogging about having been there.

Patriots picked to make it to the Super Bowl but lose to Carolina by the ESPN expert panel. Nice to know folks like that think we'll have another excellent team; but since experts are always wrong, it's nice they didn't pick NE to win. I would like to see the Pats sign Ty Law and shore up that secondary. I still hate the Cowboys but their QB is still a favorite of mine. So here's hoping Drew Bledsoe throws for big numbers. Let's talk some football.

3 comments:

David said...

Best record in MLB......not Chisox, but it's the DETROIT TIGERS! Hopefully we will see you in the playoffs.

Zebster said...

I'm impressed with the Tigers, Coach, but I don't think they're the best team, not yet anyway.
I can't believe you or Robbie at least haven't poo poo'd my Bruins sweater.
Kasey and Bobby both had top 10 qual's at Chicago, and Kyle was top 15 or better in Happy Hour.
Boston takes the first in a battle of the Sox last night, behind a rookie pitcher.

LittleCuz said...

Oh the jealousy comes out when the the bluer star on a white field is mentioned.....I've always been a Bledsoe fan, and ardent supporter, so I loved seeing him come to AMERICA'S TEAM!!! Unfortunately he has the same problem here as when he was with New England and Buffalo, he's gotta carry the team and be the go to guy. I just don't think he's that kind of QB. I'd love to see what he could do with the offensive help New England has had the last few years, a running game really helps, and my Cowboys haven't had that premier back it takes to control a game.