Thursday, July 20, 2006

Nearby the River Mersey

British Open First Round Update. Sorry this is a little late but I was delayed by Barbara Merrill's visit to Inside Zebster, which I encourage you to read.
I turned on the telly shortly after the broadcast started this morning at 7 to see Phil tied with several others at -4; but as almost always seems the case, he plays poorly when I'm watching. He proceeded to bogey 2 of the next 3 holes, birdied a par 5 and finished at -3. He didn't take full advantage of a good driving day but should be satisfied with a solid start near the top of the leaderboard.
Tiger's on the course now, early in his first round. He lipped out a long birdie putt on number 1 and then missed his 3-footer for par. He currently stands at +1 through 4.
Right now 2 Englishmen (don't get carried away yet, lads) have the clubhouse lead at -5, Greg Owen and Anthony Wall. Ever-steady Jim Furyk is among those in the clubhouse at -4, along with noteables Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia and lefty Mike Weir.
This Open is being played at Royal Liverpool, Liverpool being a place Americans are familiar with because of the Beatles. It is the first time The Open Championship has been played here in 39 years.
Trivia question: What is Strawberry Fields?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a cemetary, right? If Phil plays bad when you watch Zebsta', you have to take one for the team and give up watchin'...........Buff

Zebster said...

Cemetary, no. Wouldn't taking one for the team be watching even when it's not going well? Or are you guys trying to tell me something about my choices of topics? LOL

Zebster said...

I need we could trust AA. Ding, ding...an orphanage in Liverpool. I believe the answer to your question is rattling around in the back of my mind somewhere but I shouldn't guess until I find it.
You mean 2nd tier as "below" the Beatles, etc...not that they came in the 2nd wave, right?

Zebster said...

Well, the two I want to mention (Kinks and Animals) I don't believe were from Liverpool. I know I know but it's still stuck in the ether.