Sunday, September 10, 2006

Bar Harbor route

I rode the route with its previous salesman Tuesday and Wednesday morning. This route has "two parts," a group of stops on one day and different stops the other with 2 stops done every day. Wednesday afternoon I did the route by myself for the first time, most of the stops I'd never been to before, and got home around 9pm...thankfully Thurs was a day off. Friday I went in earlier, 3:30, but everything that could go wrong did for most of the day, most significantly the mess left behind by my predecessor and a lack of information and confusing information he left behind, which caused me to need to spend 3 hours at the "barn" at the end of the day trying to start to straighten things out for next week. Anyway, I got home around 10:15 and to bed about quarter of 11pm. Three hours of sleep and back at it again yesterday.
Things started out quite badly when I immediately realized that the product he'd ordered and that had come was for the stops I had just done the day before, not the stops I was going to do yesterday; and having only seen those places once, it was difficult for me to remember what products I'd need that I didn't have. So after some pondering, I said screw it and loaded the truck and decided to just go and wing it. To make a long story short, it went quite well and only one customer was really left without what they need. I had an extra stop that cost me a half hour but in the end I got back to the barn at 6 (with no power due to the storm) and got home at 7:30. So essentially I was as fast by myself as Wednesday when I had help half the day. So while "proud" and less pessimistic, this route has 6 to 7 hours of driving time in it, so long days are guaranteed, probably 14 hour days will be good.

So I got home in time to catch the Nascar race from Richmond, though I probably should've gone straight to bed. The Mrs. made all the fixings for awesome nachos. So I grabbed a Dundee Amber Lager, made a huge plate of nachos and settled in to see if Kasey could gain the 30 points or more he needed to make the Chase. About halfway, just when he had driven to the front, I decided to go downstairs and watch it on the couch in the den. Well, I ended up in bed to listen instead, where I immediately fell asleep around 10. So I missed the second half, but awoke to find he had finished third and made the Chase for the championship, leaving Tony Stewart, last year's champion, out in the cold. Go get 'em Kasey.

2 comments:

El Mas Chingón said...

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with Tony missing the cut. It was those DNFs and bad finishes two months ago that cost him. I'll root for Kasey but I'll be rooting for Dale Jr., too. May both of them have success in the last ten races.

BTW, nice to see you back online.

David said...

Perhaps Mark Martin can pull off an upset. He will be my sentimental favorite since Smoke is out.

Echo Robbie's comments...good to see you again old friend!